Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Not a Valentine's Day Poem February 14, 2019

Doing what I always do for the Day of Love Day . . . mock it a bit. I wrote this poem in 2o17 . . . for Valentine's Day. It's just a short poem about what probably are my three "loves" of my life. My only hope? None of them read it. That could be . . . interesting . . . more than likely not. Anyway, I know longer hate SVD. But I'm not all that in love with it either. {smiles}



Not a Valentine’s Day Poem

I chose not to write a Valentine poem,
but then decided, what the hell,
I might as well, since it is Valentine's Day.

In The Garage, standing in line to order
a Swiss and mushroom burger you kissed
me, hard. It felt like a passionate, drunk
Mac truck had just smashed into my lips.
I will not lie and say it was unpleasant
because you did taste like 1979, the last year
that our mouths said hello to each other.

And the other one, you know who you are,
the one that I bought a Teddy bear for
on the 12th of each month just to tell you
how thankful an oldie was to have you in his life.
You were nice until you weren’t anymore.

And then there was the one, the only one, really.
Blond hair, English accent, glasses
that partially hid the bluest eyes . . . 
I don't remember ever celebrating
Valentine's Day with you. Perhaps,
it was that every day seemed like
Valentine's Day when we were together.

So, writing a poem about ghosts
isn't the most romantic thing.
But when you have little left
except for memories? Well,
memories are better than nothing.

Happy Valentine’s Day
Woodie o2-14-17
(rewrites o2-13-19)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Birthday Poems May 23, 2019

So, it's MY birthday . . . TODAY! I have a bit of a b-day tradition. I write poems for my birthday, day. Some times they are very long ...