Sunday, February 24, 2019

Bird Flu February 24, 2019

So, I did get my flu shot back in October 2o18, and as it somehow goes I got a real bad case of the flu about a week ago. Really bad. My sister drove my semiconscious body down the Urgent Care behind my regular doctor's office. They gave me some antibiotics and steroids. Steroids make you higher than the HAL in 2001: A Space Odyssey. And being shaky nervous and filled with adrenaline I decided to write and write and write on Facebook. AND I decided to take my drugged out comments on  Facebook and make poems out of them. I call them' The Steroid Flu Poems. Here's one of 'em.
Bird Flu 

on leave . . . 1969 . . .  fresh back from Nam
sitting at a local bar with my dad watching
the moon landing on TV, blurry picture,
listening to the newscaster describe 
the event and then: “the Eagle has landed.
Big whoops and hardy hollers from the bar crowd
who just stopped in to see (as best they could?)
the big show. Even the mostly silent bartender 
couldn’t stop himself from whispering a “God Bless ‘em” 
to himself as her poured free beers for the house.
And a group of older men sitting next to me and dad,
big smiles, slaps on the backs, "We did it! We did it"

but somehow all that joy and pride,
all those tears of God Bless America
suddenly turned into something . . . else:
"Yeah, we did it, alright. And those damn
hippies are still out there protesting the war . . .
And all that Civil Rights shit! Always
complaining they are . . .
Just gets in the way of what’s going on
right here on TV, on the moon . . .
On the moon they are! But do THEY care?
FUCK NO!

It took me a while to figure out
what the hell they were talking about. 

We celebrate moments. . .  Personal,
American moments . . . but it never lasts
because other moments intrude, stronger
moments invade our minds, our bodies,
our will to . . . to . . . 

What the hell was my point?
Woodie o2-24-19


No comments:

Post a Comment

Birthday Poems May 23, 2019

So, it's MY birthday . . . TODAY! I have a bit of a b-day tradition. I write poems for my birthday, day. Some times they are very long ...