Friday, January 4, 2019

Lighter Than Gravity January 04, 2019

For this fuzzy old raisin of a brain, this poem keeps being relevant every time I start reading something on Facebook. So, I keep reposting it, writing it a bit first because there always seems to be something that I missed the last time I revised it. One of my favorite poems. Also, I found a picture from 2 years or so ago that really seems to fulfill the visual needs of this poem . . . P.S. Again, if the art is to small to read the poem off it, click on the image and it will enlarge . . . a little. 
Lighter Than Gravity

I’m sure you understand
how unnerving it is to . . . change,
to feel your body, your thoughts,
your already oddly shaped being
transforming into some . . . thing!
Some unmentionable . . . thing!
Something you never, ever
dreamed of becoming, some . . . thing
you never wished to be.

My friends (those very few that I still have)
keep telling me not to worry,
CHANGE is inevitable, we CHANGE
everyday, from the day we’re born
we CHANGE, we all CHANGE
we must CHANGE and . . .

Okay, if I MUST . . . convert, I hope it’s not to dirt.
I hate dirt. Pushed around the whole day on
by any clumsy breeze that comes along,
or stuck for all eternity to the endless
bottom of a shoe. What kind of existence
is that? And when it rains? You become . . .  MUD!
And I hate mud… even more than dirt!

But if I must, IF you say my resurrection . . . MUST
be akin to earth let me become dust.
No, STARdust . . . YES, glittery bits of cosmic grit
which wander gypsy like between
barrooms, streetlamps and . . . GALAXIES!
Yes, STARdust! That’s what I’ll be.
That some . . . thing that’s ever so
lighter and kinder than gravity
has ever been to me.
Woodie 4-24-12 (rewrite o3-26-13,
o7-2o-16, o1-o4-19)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Birthday Poems May 23, 2019

So, it's MY birthday . . . TODAY! I have a bit of a b-day tradition. I write poems for my birthday, day. Some times they are very long ...